Since the lemon mousse calls for 5 egg yolks you’re left with 5 egg whites to deal with. In the past they’ve gone into my refrigerator as I made a mental note to find something good to make with them. More often than not, when I clean out the fridge I find them in a corner and all that’s left to do is throw them out.
This time, I decided to use them right away. I made coconut macaroons. That was the right decision! They’re delicious, and really easy to make. It is a perfect combination with the lemon mousse.
Coconut Macaroons These are excellent!
5 medium egg whites (1/2 cup) at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups coconut (I used unsweetened that I bought at the health food store)
Preheat oven to 325°F.
• Egg whites need to be at room temperature.
• Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually adding 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla
• In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt and 1 cup sugar. Add coconut and mix until well combined. Gently fold into the egg whites, a little at a time, until well incorporated.
The coconut makes the batter lumpy
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.
• Scoop out rounded teaspoons onto the parchment keeping the mounds taller rather then wide so they stay moist.
Spoon batter on lined baking sheet
• Bake them in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. The tops will start to get brown. Don’t over cook or they will dry out.
• Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes before using a spatula to lift them off the pan.
• Store the cool macaroons in a cookie tin. They are very moist so I like serving them within a day or two. They will dry out the longer you keep them. They are still great just a little firmer. See how you prefer them. You may have to put one aside since they disappear quickly.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Here are 3 reasons why you need them.
Accessories are the secret to great style and are what French Women depend on to create their unique style.
Here is why you need to incorporate them into your style.
I love setting the table for Easter dinner. It is the time of the year when nature comes back to life and I’m thrilled it’s Spring!
Similar to the way I dress, I have basics that I depend on to set the table and accessories I count on to dress it up and create a different look.