After being bundled up and eating all those great stews this winter, I’m ready for something fresh and light. I made a Lemon mousse that turned out to be the perfect combination of tastes. Not only is it easy, but since you can make it ahead, it’s ideal for when you’re entertaining. Just take it out of the refrigerator and serve it to your family and friends. It will give you a hint of the flavors this season has to offer.
I promise you won’t be disappointed.
5 egg yolks (keep the egg whites to use with coconut macaroons recipe below)
1 cup sugar
4 lemons (zest and juice) makes 2/3 to 1 cup juice it should be tart
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
• Put an inch of water in a pot
• Place a metal bowl on top of the pan to make sure it does not touch the water and remove it for now
• Zest the lemons, put one teaspoon aside for garnish
• Juice the 4 lemons, remove the pulp and seeds, you should have about 2/3 of a cup of juice.
• Use the metal bowl (on the counter) to combine the yolks with the sugar whisk until smooth
• Bring the pot of water to a simmer so it is ready when you need it
• Add the lemon juice and the zest to the yolk mixture whisk until smooth
• When the water is simmering lower the heat put the bowl on top of the pan
• Whisk continuously until it has thickened and coats the back of a spoon about 8 to 10 minutes.
• Let the lemon mixture cool to room temperature
• With a hand mixer, beat the heavy cream until it has firm peaks, do not over-beat the cream
• Add 1/3 of the whipped cream to the cooled lemon curd fold it in gently
• Add the remaining whipped cream folding it in until it is combined.
• Pour mixture into 6 or 8 small serving bowls or glasses
• Cover and refrigerate overnight
• Before serving sprinkle a little lemon zest on top.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Years ago I had the opportunity to travel to what felt like the other side of the world. The city of Dhaka in Bangladesh was a twenty-hour plane ride from... New York City. I tried to imagine the world we were about to enter but it was so foreign to me that I didn’t know what to expect… we couldn’t believe our eyes…